Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tasty Tuesday

For the last few years I have thought it would be neat to learn how to can fruits or veggies. It has always intimidated me and I have never had the equipment necessary so I haven't bothered. Well, this year I talked about it to a couple people, read a few peoples blogs, and found out my friend Sheri was borrowing her mother in laws canning stuff and was willing to teach me so I decided to try my hand at it! I just bought one box of peaches and decided to can just that to see if I liked it and could do it. The result? Much easier than I thought! As long as you follow the instructions it's really not hard and it's kinda fun to know that I made 14 jars of peaches. I definitly commend all you canners out there who have done like, 50 jars of produce because it was a lot of work just for 14! I think I am sold though and this time next year maybe I'll get daring and do peaches AND green beans!!
Interested in preserving?? Check out www.freshpreserving.com
PS....I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to Brandy whose birthday is tomorrow! Thanks for being such a great friend and I hope you have a great day! :-)

8 comments:

Cass and Jared said...

Congratulations on your peaches, they sure look tasty! Tell your husband that I heard him on the radio this morning, I always laugh when I hear "Christoff" during my morning commute!

Anonymous said...

I am sure that if you want more bottles Carole would be happy to give them to you. I was watching Dirty Jobs tonight and they have a really cute camera guy named Dawson - it made me think of our little Dawson!! We leave for Victoria, British Columbia in the morning and will be back Sunday. See you when we get back!!!

LBP said...

You always impress me with your mad homemaking skills.

Holly said...

Way to go! You will really love having those this winter :)

ashley said...

Good work! I sliced all my peaches, and just recently realized how much more work I made for myself in doing so. Way to do halves - much smarter. (And if you do green beans, just make sure you read all the instructions and follow them closely. Everyone is always warning me away from them and the possibility of them spoiling/causing botulism.)

Brandy J. said...

Thanks for the birthday shout out! The peaches look great. ~Brandy

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

Those peaches look great!! You should enter them in the County Fair.Home bottled fruit is the best and I bet Dawson will love it.Keep up the good work!!

Carrie said...

Good job on your peaches Sarah! They look great. I have been doing a little canning too. I love the recipes you post too. They sound great, I gotta start trying them. I am going to start with the quick and easy first. The pumpkin muffins sound good. I am starting to crave pumpkin stuff. I guess it’s the time of year. I am still waiting to run into you at Old Navy. Ha, ha.