Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Our First Battle Wound

**Warning long post, I typed it out in detail!

Tuesday, June 14th the kiddos and I headed to the movies for the summer movie then after went to Click-Fil-A for lunch with my friends Summer and Lindy and their kids. It was free receipt Tuesday so we could get our same meal for free another day in June...sweet deal...but the events that transpired weren't so sweet!

The kids ate then after they were done Dawson went into the play area with Landon, Ty, and Reece. They were having fun but Lindy's boys Ty and Landon came out complaining of a bully; and later I found out my friend Jill who happened to be there too said her boy Parker said a kid was pushing everyone in the play area and he didn't want to play in there. Not too long after Lindy's boys came out I was chatting away with Summer and Lindy when next thing I know Dawson comes running to me bawling, holding is head, and he has blood on his hand. I didn't assume anything bad but when he pulled his hand away Summer, Lindy, and I all gasped at the big gash he had above his right eyebrow.


I immediately grabbed him and put napkins on it, saying we need to go because I knew without question it would need stitches. **Backing up, Chris was actually on the phone with me when this happened because I was asking him if he wanted me to bring anything home for him for lunch...so I told him he needed to leave now Dawson is hurt. As I'm trying to collect my stuff, I had so much help. One lady asked if I had a maxi pad to help soak the blood and I said no so another lady passed one over as another lady was handing me a big band-aid. Summer told me to leave everything she would clean up and Lindy grabbed her boys out of the play place to help me out to the car. The owner of Chick-Fil-A also came over and asked if I needed ice, and I told him that would be great but we really needed to leave to get him stitches.

*Sidetrack...As I mentioned, Lindy went to grab her boys and when she went into the play place she said a little boy was standing there almost in tears saying I'm so sorry I didn't mean to hurt him, we were playing and he tackled me and I pushed him. She said she noticed there was ledges around the play place with sharp corners, thinking that's probably where Dawson hit.

Lindy carried Emerson out to my car and buckled her in, the owner Rob carried my purse and opened my car for me so all I had to do was concentrate on Dawson. Rob offered to follow me to the Instacare but Lindy said she would since Chris wasn't there yet.

I drove so fast, I felt so so so bad for Dawson, blood scares him and he doesn't cry easily so seeing him bawling over it made my heart hurt so bad for him!! When we got to the Instacare Lindy again was awesome and took care of getting Emerson out of the car for me and inside so I could go right in with Mr. D. (Did I mention Lindy is 9 months preggo, due in like, 2 weeks or less when it happened?? Yeah, she is rock-star..I owe you Lindy, thanks again for the millionth time!)

Inside they checked us in and as they did that a nurse came out and put numbing cream on it and wrapped his head with a blue bandage and told him he looked like a pirate. That and the fact the bleeding stopped perked him up and he went running (with me telling him WALK PLLLEAASSEE!!) to show his buddy Landon his new pirate look. They put a movie on for the kids as we waited for his numbing gel and Chris got there right before we headed back. Dawson was so brave and talkative to the nurses and doctors as the prepped him and told them all about Batman and his love of superheros, then they started the stitching. He seemed pretty numb so they started and he did ok but started to whimper after a couple so they gave him a shot of lydacane and that made him cry again and made me almost start to cry! It was so sad having to sit over him holding his hands and watch him hurt. They finished with a result of 6 stitches and told him he was Super Dawson. They were so nice to him and the kids walked away with certificates for ice cream, stickers, and suckers.

I called the owner Rob back and he was glad he was ok and asked if we could come in or call later so they can get some info. We called the Grandparents assuring them all was well and headed home. My sister Lisa who is living with us wasn't home but showed up not too long after us with a bunch of gifts for Dawson. My mom and dad (aka Grandma Dar and Grandpa Roger) back home told her to get something for Dawson from them so he got a big Optimus Prime (he has wanted one for awhile) and a sand bucket with little toys and treats. Chris and I got him a balloon and Batman cartoon movie, then Grandma Lynn and Grandpa Dave stopped by later with a card and truck movie. He later proclaimed this was the best day ever due to his spoils...Chris was worried that meant he didn't mind getting hurt but Dawson told us he doesn't like getting hurt "it's scary" so I think we are safe that he sees the bad in it still!

We went back to Chick Fil A that evening and Rob wasn't there so a lady got the info they needed and we had Dawson show us where he fell. Under the big viewing window there is a ledge and he fell right in the middle of the ledge onto it, hitting his head there. As I thought about it there was no way the boy pushed Dawson off him because Dawson tackled him, because he would of fell backwards then not forwards. Like I said though, the kids were all complaining of a bully pushing, so I figure that's what really happened. As we were leaving after giving our info a lady came out asking us if we were the boy who got hurt because she had some stuff for us. They proceeded to bring out ice cream for the kids, balloons, and a bunch of certificates for free meals there. They were really so nice.



The next day a lady from the offices called to check on Dawson and told us that they would cover all out of pocket expenses for us! SO nice because we haven't had to meet our deductible this year for Dawson so it would be all out of our pocket!

5 days later, Sunday...aka Father's Day, Dawson was suppose to have his stitches out but Chris didn't think they looked ready so we were gonna wait til Monday. BUT as Chris' family was leaving Dawson comes running up crying and bleeding a little, he had bumped his head and it popped open part of the cut without breaking the stitches. We decided to take him in to have them look and see and the doctor said he actually wanted to take them out so they don't leave a scar and put steri-stripes on instead. So they removed them and put on the steri-stripes to hold it closed as it finishes healing. Let's hope Dawson doesn't do anything to it again and it heals! The good thing is he isn't too scarred by it and is still the same running, jumping, energetic boy he is; but the bad thing is he wants to do all that and I have to tell him to slow down and he careful!!!

Hopefully our first battle wound is our last...I had just a couple weeks before thought how lucky we were to have not had to deal with stitches, injuries, broken bones, etc. but obviously I thought too soon! Let's hope there is no more because for as scary as it was we all came out unscathed and had so much love and help!! Thanks again everyone :)

0 comments: