Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

I have been sick of getting a taste of warm weather then have it turning cold again, so I am hoping our cold weather spells will be a thing of the past very soon. I am also sick of using a lot of my wintery recipes (soups, stews, casseroles, etc.) and I am ready to use more of my springy/summery ones like cool salads with fresh ingredients paired with something that has been grilled...which is why I have been on a Tasty Tuesday hiatus. Anyways, for some reason when it starts to get warm I crave Mexican food. I love love love Mexican food and I think the fresh ingredients like cilantro, tomatoes, and limes feel spring like to me so the next batch of recipes are going to be some of my favorite Mexican recipes. Today we will start out with my favorite Chicken Enchilada recipe. I love this one because you can omit things or add things and it still tastes great. Ole!

Chicken Enchiladas
Julie Badger Jensen

2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup sour cream
1 can chopped green chilies
1 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
10 flour tortillas
1 can mild enchilada sauce

Combine chicken, sour cream, and green chilies, set aside. In small pan saute onions in butter until golden. Add onions, salt, and 2 cups cheese to chicken mixture. Dip tortillas in enchilada sauce and spoon 1/2 cup of chicken mixture in the middle of each tortilla. Roll up and place close together in a greased 9x13 pan. After you have all the enchiladas in the pan pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top and sprinkle with remaining 2 cups of cheese. Bake uncovered 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Makes 10 enchiladas.

*I have used both green and red enchilada sauce so its just a matter of preference. I have also made it without the onions and they are great that way too. I have also used cheddar instead of jack cheese. You can pretty much customize it to fit what you like!

Next Tuesday: Black Bean and Corn Salad (I almost always make this to go with my enchiladas!)

3 comments:

Brandy J. said...

Sounds yummy...I'll add it to my list of must makes!

Adam and Sarah said...

I have a recipe much like this one -- I LOVE IT! :D I'm looking forward to your next Tasty Tuesday so I can have a whole meal. :)

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

Thanks for doing you Tasty Tuesday again I like to try new things.We are all so ready for spring after a very long winter.All I want to do is plant something and dig in the soil.