Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tasty Tuesday

For this weeks Tasty Tuesday segment, I thought I would highlight wheat germ. For a long time I had heard how wheat germ is so good for you and you can put it in lots of stuff for a vitamin boost, BUT I was always a bit too intimidated to buy it...not being sure how I would actually use it and if I would. Finally, I decided to buy it after I read all the ways I could use it from Missy Chase Lapine's book The Sneaky Chef. She has two great ways to use it; one in a flour blend the other in a better breading blend.
Flour Blend
Missy Chase Lapine
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ

Combine the flours and wheat germ. Store in sealed bag for months!
Use in: cookies, brownies, cupcakes, muffins, donuts, cakes, breads, etc.

Better Breading
Missy Chase Lapine
1 cup bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
1 cup almonds, slivered
1 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt

Pulse almonds in food processor, then combine with bread crumbs, wheat germ, and salt. Keep refrigerated in sealed bag for up to 2 weeks.
Use for: chicken tenders, chicken parmesan, fish, pork chops, on top of mac and cheese, etc.

Other uses for wheat germ: Sprinkled on cereal or fruit, mixed in sauces like marinara, I even have mixed it in Dawson's baby food!

Now, why wheat germ? Wheat germ is high in vitamin E and folic acid, which can help maintain your vitality and promote cardiovascular health. It's a powerhouse of nutrients, also offering an excellent source of iron, protein, and B vitamins. It's also one of the best food sources of zinc, magnesium, manganese, and chromium. B vitamins nourish the whole nervous system, and can help prevent fatigue and migraine headaches!

Hope you enjoyed this weeks Tasty Tuesday, now go out and buy some wheat germ!





1 comments:

Brandy J. said...

We're all about eating healthy, but do they really have to use the word "germ" in the title? I mean...come on!