Saturday, January 9, 2010

Our Trip to Illinois

We got to go back to visit my family in Chicago for Christmas...we were there for a little over two weeks actually and we had a blast! Before I do my Christmas post I just wanted to blog about some of the stuff we did while we were there.

*We went bowling as a family to the new Brunswick Zone they have there and let me tell you, it was pretty cool. We had couches to sit on, cosmo bowl with cool jams and lights, our own little server to bring us our shoes and yummy munchies like nachos and wings, and when it was Dawson's turn the bumpers popped right up in the lane.



*We made a gingerbread house, which has been a tradition for my family growing up and one I continue to do now too! Dawson loved eating gobs of candy and smearing tons of frosting all over the place. Me and my sisters also made a TON of Christmas cookies! I love holiday baking!



*We piled in the cars and drove around to look at the lights, another Springer family tradition.

*We went to downtown Chicago (brrr...it was CHILLY!) where we looked at the Macy's window display and checked out the Kristkindle Festival. It is this cute little outdoor festival with tons of German style food (mmmmmm....potato pancakes...) and a bunch of little shops. Oh, and Santa of course! It was wonderful this year because they had warming tents you could go sit in so you weren't freezing your butt off the whole time. I kept wishing I was Emerson, being pushed in a stroller, covered in a bunch of blankets!




*I got to catch up with some of my friends over dinner and see another and her cute little family while ice skating. It's always so fun to see my friends I grew up with and see where they are at now! PS- Dawson is not an ice skater...at all!


*For New Years Eve, my family always makes a big dinner and we pig out. Since we were leaving on New Years Eve, we did it on the 30th instead. This year we went BBQ style. Chris made 6...yes 6 racks of ribs that my mom bought; and with it we had delish bbq pork sandwiches, salad, cheesy potatoes, rolls, and cheesecake and cookies for dessert. We were stuffed!


We had so much fun with my family and I could not believe how fast our trip went! I just love our traditions we have and I love all the activities we do. My parents always took us to do fun stuff growing up and I love that we still do it and that I now do it with my kids. I also love how much fun we all have together and being goofy with them!

7 comments:

Missy said...

Yay, it was so much fun having you guys here! Your visit did go by way too fast!

ashley said...

Looks like fun. Your little girl is so cute! We hit up Kristkindlemarkt last year - so fun. I miss Chicago at Christmas... next year, next year.

Laurel Joy said...

I love that picture from the train :o)

Kimmy said...

it looks like you guys had so much fun!

Sarah Jane said...

looks like you guys had a great time! You are so lucky to have been gone for so long!

The Tucketts said...

Looks like tons of fun!

Elisa & Josh said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I didn't know you were from Chicago. :)