Friday, July 10, 2009

Two Men and A Lady No More






Yes, it is official, we are no longer two men and a lady...we have reached gender equality now in our family! As Christopher posted, Emerson Marie Selin arrived on Monday, July 6th at 4:20pm. She weighed 5 pounds 15 ounces and is 19 inches long. We went into the hospital around 11am to get induced. Doctor Johnson wanted to get things rolling right away since I got in a little later than anticipated so by 11:30am I was hooked up to pitocin and had my water broken to get things rolling. After that things were going well, I felt pretty good and was able to breath through my contractions and be fine. I decided around 3pm that the contractions were picking up and that I should probably go ahead and get my epidural. At that time I was dilated to a 5. I got up to go to the bathroom and as I did the anesthesiologist came in, so he said he would be right back and went to check on another patient. Well all of a sudden bam! my contractions came hard and fast and I felt a ton of pressure and the urge to start pushing. It was not fun at all and I told the nurse he needed to come in now and give me my epidural. She kept telling me to breath and not push and while she was doing that she was setting up stuff to deliver the baby. When the anesthesiologist was done she checked me and I was fully dilated and ready to go...so in other words I went from a 5 to a 10 in 20 minutes flat and I was at a 10 before I got my epidural. The nurse told me I did all my laboring natural and I could of done it all but I told her no way...it was intense! Major respect to you ladies out there who go completely natural, you are strong tough women! Anyways, the doctor came in and I pushed about 20 minutes and she was here. She came out nice and feisty with a good set of lungs that's for sure. She is healthy and doing well and I am feeling pretty good too. Dawson is very cute with her, always wanting to be right by her, give her his toys, and touch and kiss her. He definitely is getting used to sharing attention now, here and there he has tested us a bit but for the most part has been a big help. I have for sure felt overwhelmed at times and I have no clue how I am going to function when Christopher goes back to work and my family goes home, but I try not to think about it too much now and take it day by day. It is going to be hard at first for sure. I just keep reminding myself that everyone says each day gets easier and after the first couple of months things are flowing. Just don't judge if you come over and my house is a mess and I am not showered :) Anyways, we are enjoying our time right now as a family and trying to relax and rest and bond with our new little gal!

8 comments:

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

So cute! Wish all your family the very best.

Carrie said...

That birth story was intense. I was literally inching closer and closer to the computer screen, my eyes getting bigger and bigger, starting to feel pain in my knee caps hearing you were dilated 10 without an epidural. I am fine never to experience that, just reading about it was good thanks. You are going to be a wonderful mommy of two!

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

So happy that all went well and you are home with the new baby.She is a beauty and I am so glad Dawson likes being a big brother.

Camilla said...

Wow you are amazing! From a 5 to a 10 in such a short time, wow! You know, the pushing is actually a relief and doesn't hurt much at all compared to the labor part, so you probably could have done it all natural, but an epidural was probably good.
Congrats on your cute little girl! She so tiny and adorable!

The Incredible Bulks said...

If you ever need help, let me know!! She is a doll!!

Jason and Bri said...

Congrats!!! We are so happy for you guys! Its so fun having a little boy and a little girl. and no worries it will get easier and all come together. Well congrats!!

Adam and Sarah said...

Congrats! I'm excited for you guys and I'm so glad everything went well for you. And also so glad that you were able to get an epidural for at least the pushing! Ouch!!

The Tucketts said...

oh no, that labor story scares me! She is so cute! I hope everything is going well. Let us know if we can help with anything!