Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tasty Tuesday

On cold, snowy days like today, I feel constantly chilled and all I want is something to warm me up. One thing that always does is this Wassil recipe I got from my good friend Tammy. She makes it all winter long; brewing up a big pot of it then putting it in a pitcher in her fridge so she can daily pour a mug of this yummy drink and warm it up in the microwave. I just had to have the recipe so I could do the same! Added bonus? It has citrus juices in it which means lots of vitamin C to help boost your immune system during the cold, sick months.

Wassil
Tammy Olsen

2 1/4 c sugar
4 c water
2 cinnamon sticks
8 allspice berries
10 whole cloves
sprinkle of ginger powder
4 c oj
2 c lemon juice
2 quarts apple juice

Boil sugar and water until dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and simmer. *Note The longer you simmer it the more "spicer" it gets, enhancing the drink with the cinnamon, cloves etc. If you like something mild, simmer maybe only 10 minutes; if you like those spices, simmer longer, like 30 minutes. After you are done simmering make sure you remove the cinnamon sticks, allspice berries, and cloves.

2 comments:

Rob and Tammy said...

It is so yummy! Since I work in a doctor's office and am around sick people all day I think a cup a day helps keep me well during the cold and flu season.

Los Smith said...

That sounds really amazing, specially on this chilli weather...what a cute family winter picture...Happy Holidays!